Thursday, September 4, 2008

Winston's 1st School Picture

Winston was so excited to get his first school picture taken. He's really growing up! I don't know what happened to the picture when I downloaded it. It got some white spots somewhere along the way. I tried to fix it but it does the same thing every time. Anyway, This is what you get:

Winston's first day of school went okay, I guess. It was harder for me, as mommy, than it was for him. I happened to be working at the school that day. He got in a little 'tiff' with some other boys on the playground - while I was on recess duty. Basically, he was ganged up on (but that's from a mother's perspective). He tried to stand up to them, but when I went to break it up he was on the verge of tears. I was fuming. I treated everyone fairly, though, knowing my child isn't always the 'perfect' one. By the time Winston got home (after his first ride on the bus!) he seemed to be in a pretty good mood. All seemed to be forgotten. (I was still fuming) (: After getting some play time in with the dogs and his brothers, Winston fell asleep and slept for several hours. He was plumb worn out! Tomorrow we get to do it all over again, yippee!

*

Preston got the first of the school-year bugs. He had a sore throat and stuffy nose. He missed one-and-a-half days of school, so he'll have some catching up to do. We're still trying to get him to finalize his driver's training. It would be nice to have another person around that can drive into town when needed. He just doesn't seem to be in any hurry to do so. Tom and I couldn't wait to drive, or have our own car, when we were teenagers. We have weird kids.

*

Keaton is really, really enjoying Jazz Band. He brings his trombone home every night and practices. Then he goes over his notes again on the piano at least a couple times every evening. He actually has band twice every day. Jazz band in the morning, and concert band as the last class of the day. He's in music heaven. That's pretty much all he thinks about lately. It's good, because in order to stay in Jazz Band, he has to keep his grades up. He's doing a pretty good job of bringing home his homework and getting it done right away. My baby is growing up!

*

Winston's birthday was last Friday. We hadn't gotten a gift for him yet, so we took him to Shopko to pick out a present. For weeks, every time we'd ask him what he wanted for his birthday he'd say "I want reading glasses". He doesn't need them, he just likes them. He points out everyone's glasses - even strangers on the street. So, we were at Shopko and we told him to pick out ANYTHING he wanted in the toy section. He said, "Where's my reading glasses?" We told him we'd go to a different store and get them, but first he had to pick out something. We kept showing him toys, pointing out games, etc. Every time we showed him soemthing he said, "Where's my reading glasses?" Finally we gave up. We walked out of Shopko with absolutely nothing and went across the street to the Dollar Store. They have reading glasses there, and we were going to get a very low mag for him so it wouldn't hurt his eyes. (Or else we'd pop the glass out of them). He spent 20 minutes looking them over. Finally he found some that he liked. We were happy because they were actually a pair of polarized sun glasses that are clear when he's inside and darken when he's outside in the sun. He wasn't interested in anything else so we had to pick out some things just so he'd have something else for his birthday. It was a cheap birthday present and he was thrilled. Like I said, we have weird kids. (:

No comments: