It seems with this old house that the home improvements never end. Yesterday I finally finished painting my kitchen. I got rid of all the old cow wallpaper and changed colors. I went to pick out a wall color, using a piece of our oak cabinets to match it to. I wanted a warm tan color. I found one that looked really nice in the store and bought it. When I put it on the walls at home, at first - next to the old white - it looked like, well, not what I expected. It has a definite 'gold' cast to it. But I paid a lot for it and Tom said I should paint at least a corner to see if I still didn't like it. So I did. And I let it sit for a couple of days. Then I kind of started to like it, so I kept painting. Then we put up white wainscoating over the lower half of our walls. Together, the wainscoating and the paint look terrific together. Now I really love it. I think it was the color that was meant to be for my kitchen - for now...
*
During our kitchen re-do, I asked Tom to move a couple of outlets that were under the kitchen window. I thought maybe we would like to put in a larger window someday, and it would be nice to have those out of the way, just in case. So he went to move them, broke into the wall and found two older outlets with the old-old-old wiring in them. One of them was still hot! So he decided to junction it off to fix the problem. Somewhere in the process of all this, it caused the boys' bathroom, all the way upstairs, to lose power. Uuuughhh! Thus began phase 2 of our home improvement saga!
*
So yesterday, as Tom was tracing out the power problem, he broke into a wall in the upstairs bathroom. The good news is that he was able to restore the power by re-routing some things. The not so good news is that since he had a hole in the wall, we decided to go ahead and begin the tear-out phase to remodel that bathroom. Winston really loved that! We have been talking about doing it for a long time, so here was our opportunity! Out went the bathtub and old shower enclosure. In came a new window. The plan is to tile in a walk-in shower. We already have the tile left over from our other bathroom remodel, so we just have to get the other parts to make it work. I think we will have plenty to do for the next few weeks - or months.
1 comment:
How EXCITING!!! I REALLY want to see it! - So bad, in fact, that we're thinking of coming to visit you this summer! -- What do you think? -- Okay, it wouldn't be solely to see you remodels - but we're thinking of heading to Seattle and detouring your way! Maybe toward the end of May, beginning of June. - I think I need to have Nels just call you, but WE think it would be fun!
Post a Comment