Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Old Enough...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRESTON!
I have been dreading this day for probably the past four or five months. In my mind I have been calling it the Mother's Day of Doom. Not because I don't love my son. It's because I do love him. EIGHTEEN! He's old enough to vote... old enough for the selective service... old enough to go out and get married without my permission... etc... etc... etc. I cannot imagine life around here when he decides to go off to college... or get his own place... or ship off in the armed forces (or whatever he decides). Despite all of my 'dreadful' thoughts of this momentous occasion - Preston's birthday went really well.
.
Tom and I started the day going to the dump - dragging Keaton with us, thus leaving Preston to rest and relax on his birthday morning. (We had recently cleaned out 10 years worth of junk out of the barn and it definitely warranted a haul to the dump). When we got back, I cooked up a breakfast brunch of french toast for everyone. We gave Preston his birthday present, a Cannon Rebel digital camera (compliments of Aunt Kari). We then went about our normal Saturday activities until the evening when we had chowder in breadbowls (Preston's choice) for dinner, then cake and ice cream. Preston said it was his favorite kind of birthday, nice and quiet and relaxing. And I didn't get too emotional, so that was good, too.
.
One eighteenth birthday down... two more to go!

1 comment:

Rachel Chick said...

Sounds like he and Nels both like the same kinds of birthdays . . . they must be related! :) Good luck. I think most moms dread that day! Way to go.