Sorry about this long, sad post. It's theraputic for me to get it all out.
We lost our Rosey girl today. When I came home from work I noticed Koko hanging around, but no Rosey. I looked all over the yard and called and called and called. And every time I would pat Koko on the head she made a funny little sound.
When Preston got home, I drove down the road looking for her. No Rosey. So I tried to drive up the back hill, but it was too muddy and I almost got the Mountaineer stuck. Preston and I decided to climb the back hill instead, and see if we could 'see' anything. We called and called and called again. As we neared the top of the hill, Preston looked off in the distance past a couple of hills and noticed something 'big' in the field. I thought it was just a piece of old farm equipment. He thought it looked a little strange and decided to check it out - while I continued to climb to the top of the hill.
When Preston got over there, I could barely hear him call "Mom!" because the wind was blowing hard. I figured he must have found something, so I headed over there to see. Let me just say that climbing up and down our hills is like an hour's worth of workout - I was whooped. He found Rosey. A power pole and line had been blown down and she happened to be exploring there and stepped on it. We didn't get too close, because obviously it's a hot line. So teary and frustrated, we walked back to the house. At least I knew what happened and wouldn't be worrying about her being all night long, out in the cold.
I called Tom and told him what happened. He decided to come home and see if he could get the power company to come shut the line down so we could bury her. That didn't work out so well. There are so many downed lines that they've been pretty busy. We've been having tremendous wind storms the past two days. Hopefully they can come tomorrow and help us.
The really hard part was telling Winston when he got home. He took it pretty rough. He and I shed a few tears while sitting together on the couch. We talked and talked and talked. Rosey was his best friend. He is doing better tonight. He's been giving Koko a little attention to soften the blow. She's going to be a bit lonely, again. I don't know if I want to get another dog. I was pretty attached to her. But we might have to, for Winston's sake. We'll see.
2 comments:
Oh, tracy! I feel like crying with you! That is so sad. Poor Winston. -- Poor all of you. So, so, so sorry. My dog got run over when I was about Winston's age and my heart truly goes out to him. That is one sad experience --- that it seems most of us have to go through at one time or another.
Post a Comment