Wednesday, February 16, 2011

!!!That better not be 'MY' son!!!.....

The classroom where I work happens to be just across the hall from the K - 3 bathrooms at the Grade School.  As I was working with one of my 3rd graders on his reading, I heard a distinctly familiar noise coming from the bathrooms.  It was a hooting, hollering, shreaking sound, being made by a couple of kids.  In my mind I was thinking, "That sounds just like... wait a minute... THAT BETTER NOT BE MY SON!"

So I went storming out of the classroom and just as I walked up to the boys bathroom, out comes Winston.  I had seen him go in there about 15 minutes earlier before class started, and here he was, still in the bathroom.  I said "What is going on, here?"  To which Winston replied, "What???"  Yeah, the old 'What? I didn't do anything' ploy.  He was looking at me with those innocent baby blues.  I said "Were you screaming in the bathroom?"  He said "Yes." (At least he's honest)  I asked who the other boy was, and he told me.  Apparently the other boy escaped just before Winston came out and got caught. 

I dragged Winston into my room and gave him a stern talking to, then marched him down to his class and explained to his teacher what he had been up to.  Winston looked pretty embarrassed about the whole ordeal, especially with  his whole class watching as his teacher and I pow-wowwed about it. 

Yeah, I'm a mean Teacher/Mom.  The thing is, I'd do the same if it was any other kid that I caught doing that.  I don't feel I should treat my son any different for the same offense.  Okay, maybe I was a little hotter-in-the-head because it WAS my kid.  But I treated him the same as any other. 

I don't think he'll be doing that again... or if he does, he'll either think twice about it or make sure I'm not around to catch him!

No comments: