Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Apparently Magpies can fly without tailfeathers...

I'll warn you now, this post has a bit of the "Ewwwww" factor.

Winston and I went out to feed and water the chickens today.  When we got there, we found a live Magpie in their fenced pen.  It was missing it's tailfeathers.  There had been two Magpies, but one didn't survive the chickens, as evidence of it was strewn all over the pen.  So as I was feeding the chickens, I left a little hole in their fence, hoping the living Magpie would take it's chance and escape.  It just hopped around the pen, dodging the chickens' beaks.  I finally had to put Winston in the pen and he  chased it to a point where it could get out.  Once free, it flew off as fast as it could go - minus it's tailfeathers.  I don't know how they got in, but they sure couldn't figure their way out.   Hopefully that will teach it not to mess with the chicken's scraps!

No comments: