Beautiful Sylvan Lake
"So what is it we're supposed to be looking at here?"
'Rocks, Winston. Big Rocks.'
We went on down the Black Hills, taking the scenic Needles Highway. Tom was a bit nervous driving it, because in some spots the road is pretty narrow and there are some tunnels. You not only have the basic variety of cars and motorcycles driving on it with you, but also some ENORMOUS tour buses.
See these cars? Following them right around the corner and there is this...
...yeah. It was a tight fit for the Expedition. I don't know how those tour buses get through it. They must have to turn around, but I don't know where???
Cathedral Rocks, and Tom's face.
As we entered the Custer State Park, there was Sylvan Lake. It was so beautiful, we had to stop and check it out.
Hi Everybody!
Tom and Winston walked all the way around the lake while I checked out the gift shop. (I found a cute little buffalo bobble-head that I bought to add to Tom's collection).
Absolutely Beautiful!
There was a bank of storm clouds in the distance, and you could hear a little thunder rumbling, but it was nice at the lake. The clouds made the light just right to make the rocks look even bigger.
After I was done shopping, I decided to walk around the lake in the opposite direction to meet up with Tom & Winston somewhere along the way. Then I came to a crack between two gigantic rocks that you had to pass through. Being claustrophobic, I was trying to psych myself up for it, when here came the guys walking through. Whew! I didn't have to go in there!
These are pictures that Tom took on the other side. The 'crack' or tunnel doesn't look that long in these pictures - but trust me, it was long enough. Let alone the huge bolders hanging over your head!
Winston walking through.
When we were done walking Sylvan Lake, we hopped back in the car and continued through Custer State Park. It is known for it's buffalo herds, so it didn't take long for us to find them.
This herd was crossing the road to a watering hole, so the traffic was backed up for quite a ways. You could tell a lot of the driver's were city folk, unlike us who have experience driving through herds of cattle. Some people just stopped their cars in the middle of the road and got out to take pictures, while the rest of the cars had to wait behind them. Sheesh!
It must have been calving season because there were A LOT of buffalo calves. So cute!
This was the second herd we came upon a few miles down the road from the first herd. This picture just shows half of the herd. It was HUGE! And there were some big bulls in there, too! At least I think that's what daddy buffalos are called.
We headed for Hot Springs to spend the night at the local KOA. They had wild cotton-tail bunnies everywhere. It was kind of fun walking around them. It was soooo hot and there were mosquitos so sleeping in the Expedition was really not very comfortable that night. But at least they had a pool.
Yeah.
What a relief!















No comments:
Post a Comment