Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Road Trip #5: Roubaix Lake


While we were eating our $1 lunch in Deadwood, the bartender told us of some nice lakes to camp at in the Black Hills.  This was the lake that he said was a nice quiet mountain lake.  He was right, and it was wonderful.


Winston loved swimming in it, and playing in the sand.  He spent hours building roads and towns in it.  There were a couple of other kids there that played with him too.  They happened to find crawdads, which Winston really didn't want to have anything to do with.


My really dirty boy.  Too bad there were no showers here.  He had to take another dip in the lake to clean off - darn!  This was dry camping at it's best.  The sites and restrooms were very clean.  And it was soooo peaceful here.


There was a trail that went around the lake.  There were also a bunch of frogs, so Winston dragged Tom down the trail several times to look for frogs.  He was only able to catch one, though.  Then he released it back into the wild.


This was my little camp buddy.  He would come and visit me while I was reading my book.  I think he was interested in the box of food we had sitting out.  He kept trying to get into it.  I threw him a couple of almonds and peanuts.  Then another squirrel came along and they had to duke-it-out over the food.  I decided I better not give them any more if they weren't going to be nice and share.


Tom, exhausted from walking Deadwood, driving and frog hunting.  It's about nighty-night time - I hope that's not coffee in that cup!


Wakey-wakey!  One of the very BEST things about camping here was that there were NO bugs!  We were able to leave the back window open for the whole night and not one bug or mosquito came in.  I've never been to a mountain lake where there were no mosquitos.  It was really nice!


Winston, with his morning cocoa, contemplating the start of a new day.  And a busy day it will be - on to Rushmore, Needles Highway and Custer State park, all in one day!  Whew!!!

No comments: