Before we get to the snorkeling, we gotta talk about Ka'Ena Point.
On one of the days we drove as far as we could go to the west on the north shore road. It took us to a little end-of-the-road spot. We knew that not far around the corner (approximately 5 miles) was Makaha, where our condo was. But there were no roads to get there from this direction, just a little hiking trail. Tom and Keaton decided they were going to hike it. So Preston, Winston and I dropped them off and said we'd meet them on the other side. For us, the drive back around was about 20 miles or so. I thought they were crazy for wanting to hike it. If anything happened, there was no way to get to them out there.
This was a really pretty side of the island, not too busy either. The wind was blowing pretty fiercely, so even though it was a really hot day, it didn't feel too bad with the breeze. I did talk them into taking extra water, though, and it's a good thing I did.
In the middle of the five-mile hike is Ka-Ena Point. There is also a nature preserve here. They had to go in through a gate and back out through a gate. I'm not sure what kind of nature it was a preserve for, maybe birds. But they did stumble across a swim-suit photo shoot as they were hiking along.
Not sure what Tom's pointing at. Something on that tower perhaps.
Keaton and black rocks.
One thing they didn't expect was that once they got on the southern side of the island the wind stopped blowing and it got HOT. They went through their water bottles, and their shoes got pretty hot on those rocks. By the time I caught up with them on the other side, their mood was "What were we thinking!"
On to the snorkeling...
Preston next to an arch - can't remember it's name.
Preston and Keaton gearing up for some snorkeling at China Hat Beach.
Tom, and the mountains behind China Hat Beach.
The china hat shaped island is what gives this beach it's name.
Winston had fun playing in the sand.
Preston's ready to go!
Not sure what's going on here.
Might be this is when he got sunscreen in his eyes.
Winston toting Preston around like a barge.
Here Preston was on a boogie-board, but one thing about the water in Hawaii is the salt content is so high that you just float. It makes snorkeling really easy, unless you want to dive down and see what's under some rocks. Then you really have to work at getting deeper under the water. I enjoyed just relaxing and floating in the water - and told Tom I needed one of these in our backyard. I don't think he took me seriously, though.
This is Shark Cove beach.
One of the best snorkeling spots on Oahu. I wasn't sure about it because of it's name, but rumor has it that it wasn't named this because of sharks, but because of it's shape. The guys got to see a lot of fish here, but no sharks - thank goodness!
Tom showing Winston how to snorkel.
The kid took to it like a fish to water. It was sooooo funny watching him. He'd get his face under the water and paddle around with his flippers and you'd hear him saying "Here fishy-fishy" through the snorkel tube. It was hilarious!
Tom and Preston snorkeling.
Keaton did some snorkeling too, but I think the sun was getting to him a little bit so he took time to enjoy the umbrella on the beach, his tablet, and a few pop-tarts along with it.


















No comments:
Post a Comment