Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Beautiful Blessings...


Lately I've been thinking about and appreciating a LOT how blessed we have been.  When I walk through the wheat fields or down the forest trail, I am grateful that we were directed to this place.  I marvel at God's handiwork in the beauty he has created for us to enjoy.
 
This year will be 15 years we have lived here.  FIFTEEN YEARS!  That's the longest put-down-roots either Tom or I have ever lived in one place at one time.  It is truly home now.  Tom has put a lot of hard work into our little homestead.  I often feel so lucky and thankful that I have him - with his restless, unending drive to create landscapes and fix-it's.  He has created a wonderful, comfortable home for us and our children.  We are blessed to have an open home where many have come to visit, find rest and enjoy.
 
Today is our 26th anniversary.  Still as happy together today as the day we said "I Do".  Not that life hasn't had it's little - and big - bumps.  Having a common respect for the Lord in our lives has played a big part of making us able to find victory over those things and still be united and happy together. 
 
We've recently hit a cross-roads in our lives.  Preston and Keaton have moved into their own place.  Tom walks out to the barn where they used to live and has discovered what 'empty-nester' really feels like.  I like to call it 'separation anxiety'.  They are not too far away that we can't see them easily, but still... they're not here.  We're proud of the boys and what they've been able to accomplish with school and jobs - but we still miss those two little boys that would come running up squealing "Mommy - Daddy!" as they wrapped their little arms around our legs.  We get a bit sentimental thinking about that.
 
Winston, too, is growing up.  He is so tall for his age and his voice is deeper.  He definitely has his own mind on what he wants to do.  That early teen stage, where Mom and Dad really only get to watch from the side-lines.  But for family meals and other activities, he has been a buffer and a blessing to us.  We're proud of him, too, and the terrific young man he is becoming.
 
The latest project that Tom and I have been working on together is our little greenhouse.  Tom built it and I planted in it.  We both maintain it and enjoy the 'fruits of our labor'.  It's been fun experimenting with different plants and conditions to see what we can yield.  Here are some pictures - although taken a couple of weeks ago.  I'll have to get some updated ones.  Things have grown a bit more than these show...
Lovely strawberries!
We decided to try planning them in gutters in the greenhouse.  This has protected them from the birds and bugs.  They've been beautiful berries!  We get around 4 to 6 berries a day right now.  Enough for our breakfast cereal!

Top shelf herbs: dill, basil, cilantro, thyme and rosemary.
Bottom:  watermelon and canatoupes

Cabbages, lavender and pickling cucumbers - with a glimps of tomatoes on the right.  Tomatoes take up the whole front lower section of the greenhouse.  Some of the plants have grown up through the grates - about 4 feet tall.  We hope to have a LOT of tomatoes!
 
Not pictured are the pepper plants: jalepenos, anaheims, cayenne, oriental chilis and sweet bells.  AND my lovely Martha Washington plant, that I have not been able to get to bloom since the first year I had it.  It is blooming beautifully in the greenhouse!  I'll have to post pictures of it too!

The garden spot.
We decided to try boxes.  So far it's going great!  We were always fighting the grass for space.  This way we only have to weed the boxes, and we can mow the grass!  So much easier!  The boxes contain zucchini, summer squash, lettuce & spinach, walla walla sweet onions, carrots, beans, more tomatoes and corn.  In tires are the potatoes, and on the hillside are the pumpkins and acorn squash.  Along the fence are sugar-snap peas, asparagus, lavender and raspberries.  So far they have done really well, despite a freeze last week.  We couldn't believe it!  80-90 degree days for the past two weeks, and then a freeze that nipped the tops of the plants.  Thank goodness it wasn't a hard freeze!
 
We've enjoyed working together in the garden too, and look forward to harvesting what we grow there.  I am so, so thankful for our many blessings!
 

No comments: