Friday, July 30, 2010

King of the Sunflowers


I love this picture of Winston.  I think the chair on his head looks like an over-sized crown, so I've dubbed him the King of the Sunflowers!
*
Every year in a tactic to control the deer pest problem we plant sunflowers at the end of the rows in our garden.  The deer don't like to eat them, so it helps detract them from the garden.  This year the Sunflowers really grew - like trees!  They are so beautiful.  We even had some volunteer flowers come up in the middle of the garden.


Don't mind the weeds, they are also part of our pest control... camoflage!  If there are weeds, the deer will become confused as to which plants are the good ones to eat!  At least that's what we tell ourselves.  We've had a pretty good crop of potatoes already - as we do most years.  And the Walla Walla Sweet Onions are Oh-So-Good.  The lettuce was so-so this year.  The zuccini and summer squash is starting to come off now.  It looks like we'll have lots of pumpkins.  The corn - not so good.  If we're lucky, we'll get to pick some ripe tomatos before it freezes.


Tom took these pictures the other evening.  I think he did a pretty good job.  With all of these sunflowers, it looks like we'll have a pretty good seed harvest.  I'm going to have to look for some good recipes for roasting them or baking them into bread.  Maybe Chickens like them, too!

No comments: