When I went to let my chickens out today I walked past the raspberry bushes and noticed how neglected they were looking. They were loaded with berries, and the robins had been having quite a party in them. It was definitely past time for the picking to begin. On my way to the chicken house I stopped by the 'boy cave' in the barn and dragged my two teenagers out to help me with the berry harvest. Then we located the wild child - who was crouched under the lilac tree with the dogs - and convinced him that he needed to help out, too.
*
It was a nice day for picking, not too hot yet. I bribed the boys with promises of raspberry milkshakes and they upped the ante with a raspberry cobbler, too. Then Winston would only agree to keep picking if his brothers promised to go swimming with him after we were done. One of the funny parts of the experience was when Preston threw a green raspberry at Winston. Winston yelled at Preston not to pick the green ones because they weren't red and they weren't 'Borned' yet! After about 45 minutes of picking we had approximately a gallon and a half of berries. Not too bad. I was able to make 13 containers of freezer jam, three large raspberry milkshakes and a raspberry cobbler out of it. YUM!*

1 comment:
Oh. Tracy. Can I come live at your house in the summer??? Oh. *Swoon!* Your cobbler looks mouthwatering and raspberry freezer jam is one of my favorite things in the whole world. Just pencil me in -- cause I'm comin' next summer!
Post a Comment