Last night as we were finally getting everyone settled down to sleep... first getting Keaton out to the barn after his three trips back to the house for various things... and Winston was tucked in to sleep upstairs... I was snuggled in and just on the edge of dreamland when I heard them. We have a couple of crazy coyotes that like to come up close to the house and howl. And last night they were REALLY close. Of course this gets the dogs going. So I get up and lock the dogs up on the front porch and climb back into bed. Then it's annoying having to listen to them compete with the coyotes. Soon after that I hear the running of little feet down the stairs and into our room.
It's Winston:
"Mom"
"What, Winston"
"There's Coyotes"
"I know"
"I'm Scared"
"They can't come in the house, you're safe"
"Can I sleep on the couch?"
"Yes. Get your pillow and blanket"
"I'm scared to go upstairs by myself"
"There's no coyotes in the house"
"I'm scared!"
So, I dutifully climb out of bed yet again (I also had climbed out of bed to let Keaton in from the barn earlier - before the coyotes started howling) and went upstairs to help Winston get his things. Then we came back downstairs and made a bed up on the couch for him. After kissing him goodnight again, I climbed back into bed and was finally getting relaxed again when from the living room I hear...
"Mom"
- pause -
"Mom... Know what Mom? Coyotes can't break in the glass?"
- pause -
"Mom?"
"No Winston, they can't break the glass"
- Long pause, I start to relax again
"Mom"
- pause -
"Mom!"
"What, Winston?"
"Coyotes can't come in doors and windows either?"
No, Winston. They can't come in the doors and windows either. Goodnight."
"Goodnight"
And finally there was silence - except for a small chuckle coming from my husband - then I was able to relax and off to sleepyland I went.

No comments:
Post a Comment