Here's some oldies but goodies. I don't think I posted them before. I finally got my XD card transferred to CD today and these were on it. I thought you might enjoy them. This is a trip Tom and the boys took earlier this year ( I think in March ) with some friends of ours. They hiked the railroad tressels over by Winchester Idaho. There was no way I or Winston were going anywhere near them (I'm deathly afraid of heights and Winston is too unpredictable). They had a great time and got some great pictures.
This last tressel is called the 'Half-Moon'. Preston was a bit intimidated by it, so he didn't cross it. Instead, he climbed all the way down the canyon and back up the other side to meet up with everyone. One of the interesting things that Tom told me he learned on this trip was that the base of these old wood tressels are not anchored. They are basically 'loose' and when the trains would go over them they literally 'walked' back and forth with the motions of the trains. Every month or so a railroad inspector would come out and see if any were too far out of line and would take big sledge hammers and knock them back into place. I think that would have made me a little nervous riding the rails in the old days if I knew about that - it's a long way down! Hope you enjoyed my little picture show and history lesson.









No comments:
Post a Comment