Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Musical Musings, Beatles Style


As everyone in my family knows, I am a Beatles Fan.  I have been since I was 9 years old.  It drives my husband nuts, but he loves me so he puts up with it.  I have quite a few favorite Beatles songs, I'm not sure I can pick an "All-Time" favorite.  But lately I've been analyzing their music when I hear it.  Maybe it's because I'm getting older.  Anyway, I was listening to "Strawberry Fields Forever" the other day.  Tom REALLY dislikes that song.  I was really paying attention to the bass in that song - it's mostly cellos and violins.  I really like that part of their music - some of their later music.  I like how they add other instruments in, orchestra-type instruments.  Then I was really enjoying the coronet or trumpet solo in "Penny Lane".  It's probably my most favorite solo in any music.  It is a pretty popular one... I think it's a british anthem or something.  And today I was listening to the intro to "All You Need is Love".  For the first time I really listened and I think they sound like the Beach Boys in it.  Okay, I've bored you with my musical musings, but it's kind of fun to find the hidden sounds in songs.  The Beatles have a lot of them - Just don't play them backwards!  ; )

No comments: