Monday, August 1, 2011

Summer Project 212... or at least it feels like it.

Homemade Candy Necklaces!

I was blog hopping the other day and came across this cool idea for something the kids could do.  The mother on the blog had made 'candy' beads for her daughter's birthday.  Her daughter's friends were able to use them to make their own candy necklaces.  The beads are made out of marshmallow fondant.  It's pretty easy to make.  So I whipped up a batch for Winston and his cousins.
It was an interesting project to try.  The fondant is easy to make, just a bit messy.  Here's the recipe:

4 cups of miniature marshmallows (or equivalent in large size)
4 cups of powdered sugar (approximately - give or take)
2 TBSP water

All you have to do is put the marshmallows in a microwavable bowl with the water and put them in the microwave until they start puffing up and look melty. 

Then you take them out of the microwave and add the powdered sugar, about a half-cup at a time.  Mix it together.  It will be VERY sticky.  Keep adding the sugar until it gets too tough to use a spoon to stir.  At this point, you're going to have to get messy and put your hands in it.  A good dusting of powdered sugar on your hands helps.  Start kneading it like bread dough. 

When it starts staying in a ball shape you can take it out of the bowl and put it on the counter to knead - just make sure you dust the counter with the powdered sugar too or it will stick.  When it feels tough enough, and not too sticky, it's ready to use to make beads. 

I put the large ball of it in a baggie and took pieces of it out at a time.  I added food coloring - messy on the hands - by putting drops on the smaller balls and kneading it in.  Best to use wax paper or foil to do that on (saves the counter tops!)  To make the swirly beads, I just made two 'snakes' or 'ropes' of fondant and twirled them together, then squished them together and cut them in the size of beads I wanted.  Then run a toothpick through them to make the holes.  I also used a toothpick and food coloring to do the lettering on the white beads. 

When the beads are made, let them dry for about 12 hours - give or take.  My beads never did really get very hard, but they were firm enough to string up.  I used dental floss to string them on.  The kids really liked them!

Winston, Anistyn and Jackson
with their candy necklaces

1 comment:

Melyni + Alma said...

You're such a great mom! Those look fabulous!