Tom's top three favorite places to see in Vegas!
Let's just say that I think Tom's tastes of things to see is a little less refined than mine - except I think New York, New York would probably fall in one of Tom's top three too. But I've already written about that, so I picked one that probably ties with it for Tom's third spot.
Tom's Third Favorite: Treasure Island.
Every night outside of the Treasure Island Hotel they put on a pirate ship battle show for everyone. They do it four times a night, about an hour apart. It's free entertainment. It's pretty much the basic battle of 'Boys against Girls'. The white ship belongs to the Sirens (the girls).
This is the pirate ship (the boys ship). There's a lot of song and dance routines on both ships, with a little bit of dialogue and some gymnastics - guys jumping from the rigging into the water. There's also smoke, loud cannon fire and fireworks. And EVERY time... the girls win and the pirate ship sinks. Tom really likes watching it. This time in Vegas he saw it three times - once with me, twice with Paul. I don't know if it's the dancing girls, the fireworks or the 'free' part that he likes the best.
Tom's Second Favorite: Freemont Street
Freemont Street is the old part of Las Vegas where a lot of the old original casinos are located. They've got a whole avenue that is shut off to traffic so people can walk down the old strip. They've also covered it with a computerized panel (LED?) that flashes pictures and color all up and down the avenue. I think they used to do a laser-light show on it. There are also several bands playing music at different parts of it. The new thing is a zip-line that goes from one end to the other. So as you're walking around, there are people zipping by (some screaming) over the top of your head.
Paul in front of the Casino Royale.
I didn't get too many pictures from this part of town. I think it was because I was feeling a bit uncomfortable with the situation. IT... WAS... PACKED! There were people everywhere! (I'm not much of a crowd person). And some of the people were really freaky. You can see just about anything in that part of town. I think Tom liked it because there was so much going on, and everything was very affordable from the food to the entertainment. There were a lot of street performers - quite a wide range of them from Michael Jackson to Kenny G impersonators. And there were the regular costumed variety from Elmo to Showgirls.
Tom looks a little bit nervous here.
Freemont Street was probably my least favorite part of this trip. Maybe during the daytime it's not so bad.
Tom's Number One Favorite: The Bass Pro Shop
I think it's a lot of guys' favorite - and probably some gals' favorite too. It is a pretty impressive setup. The Bass Pro Shop is part of another casino/hotel off the strip. This place is HUGE! It's a gigantic sporting goods store - like a Cabela's on steriods.
This store had everything you would need for fishing and hunting. You could buy fishing gear, or a fishing boat. There were a bunch of large fish hanging from the ceiling. I don't know if they were real, or just fake, but they looked real enough to me. It also had a 'creek' running through it with real fish in it, and a waterfall.
One thing I liked was their giant aquarium.
It was cool watching the different kinds of fish swimming around in it.
There were also a LOT of 'stuffed' animals. It was almost like a taxidermy museum. Some of the animals were posed in their natural environment settings.
I kind of felt sorry for the animals - I'm not much of a taxidermy kind of person. But Tom thought they were pretty cool.
Majestic lions.
One of the really neat things we came across was an old airstream trailer.
And inside it was a...
Bowling alley!
So we had a game of bowling!
Tom getting ready to get a spare.
Paul winding up for a strike.
This place was just huge. The pictures don't really do it justice.
This picture maybe encompasses one-eighth of the whole store (not including the casino part). It has two stories. The upper story has an indoor shooting range in it along with a huge assortment of firearms and hunting gear.
Tom, Paul & Amber, walking across the 'bridge' on the upper floor.
I have to say I was impressed too. Their clothing was pretty affordable, which surprised me. Before we left, we browsed through the large collection of hot sauces they sell. It was pretty entertaining reading some of the labels on them and laughing.
COUGAR!!!
There's only one thing I would change about the Bass Pro Shop...
I could do without the sharks.


















No comments:
Post a Comment