Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy July 4th!

HOME SWEET HOME

We sure enjoyed our time visiting family in Idaho, but there's just something about coming back to your own sweet home.  Tom and the boys did a really good job of keeping the house clean while I was gone, but there was still things that needed attention - like dusting and toilet scrubbing, bleck!  So I spent a day or two working on just things that needed done - and finishing up laundry.  Then my garden needed my attention.  The weeds took advantage of our being gone.  Some of the plants went crazy too!

First Pickings:
My first harvest from the garden consisted of one large head of cabbage - several beets - loads of lettuce - some dill weed (which I had to pick because it was dying), basil and cilantro.  Then I had to completely harvest the spinach because it was going to seed.  So I cleaned it up and filled three freezer bags.  I'll use it for homemade lasagne and soups.

On Tuesday Winston and I went to our good friend Jackie's house.  They have a large pond with a paddle-boat and lots of fish, frogs and turtles in it.  Jackie and I visited while Winston went crazy catching turtles.  He caught six little turtles and one really big turtle.  He brought two of the smallest home to put in our little pond.  We're starting small so they won't eat the goldfish.
He's a happy camper!

Tom took a walk with the animals the other day and got some beautiful pictures.  The wheat is just starting to turn.
Yes, that's Hope leading the trail.

Today we are going to the home of our good friends, the Drakes, to celebrate the 4th.  They have a pool and volleyball court set up.  It will be nice to spend the day with their family.  So I made a wonderful oriental cabbage salad out of that cabbage from the garden.  I just threw it together (yeah, I don't follow recipes) and it turned out so good I have to share the recipe:

Oriental Cabbage Salad

1 Head cabbage - shredded
1/4  Sweet onion - chopped
1 C. Almonds (roasted/salted) - chopped
1/4 C. Sunflower seeds
2 pks Dry Ramen Noodles (Chicken Flavor) - chopped into chunks
               (set aside seasoning packet for dressing)

Dressing:
3/4 C. Vinegar (white)
3/4 C. Canola oil
3/4 C. Sugar (You can probably get by with 1/2 cup)
1 pk. Chicken seasoning from the noodles.
1/2 tsp. Ground ginger
Dash of Cayenne Pepper
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Shred cabbage (I shred as fine as I can with a sharp knife) then place in a large mixing bowl.  Add the chopped onions, almonds, sunflower seeds and dry Ramen noodles.  Mix the dressing in a separate bowl (I used my food processor which whipped it up into a nice froth) then pour over the top of the cabbage mixture.  Mix well and put in a smaller bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.  The noodles take in the moisture and get softer the longer it sits. 

That's it for now.  I'll try to post more about our trip to Idaho soon.  It was tons of fun.  Tom and I have the best families ever!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY, EVERYONE!

2 comments:

Nels Chick said...

That photo of Hope is amazing!

Rachel Chick said...

I love that picture in the wheat! I should get a copy!