Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Feel like doing a little reading?

I recently came across this list for the novels on the Publisher's Weekly number one best sellers of the year from 1913 to 2013.  I thought it looked like a great list of books to read.  Some of them I've already read.  Most of the older ones, I've heard of but never read.  I just might see if I can fit some of these in this year - along with my reading group selections.  (**ones I really would like to read)

1913:  The Inside of the Cup by Winston Churchill
1914:  The Eyes of the World by Harold Bell Wright
1915:  The Turmoil by Booth Tarkington
1916:  Seventeen by Booth Tarkington
1917:  Mr. Britling Sees It Through by H.G. Wells**
1918:  The U.P. Trail by Zane Grey
1919:  The Four Horsement of the Apocalypse by Vincente Blasco Ibanez**
1920:  The Man of the Forest by Zane Grey
1921:  Main Street by Sinclair Lewis
1922:  If Winter Comes by A.S.M. Hutchinson
1923:  Black Oxen by Gertrude Atherton
1924:  So Big by Edna Ferber (I read this one - GREAT BOOK!)
1925:  Soundings by A. Hamilton Gibbs
1926:  The Private Life of Helen of Troy by John Erskine**
1927:  Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis
1928:  The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder
1929:  All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque**
1930:  Cimarron by Edna Ferber**
1931:  The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
1932:  The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
1933:  Anthony Adverse by Hervey Allen
1934:  Anthony Adverse by Hervey Allen
1935:  Green Light by Lloyd C. Douglas
1936:  Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
1937:  Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
1938:  The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
1939:  The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (Read this one in High School)
1940:  How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn
1941:  The Keys of the Kingdom by A. J. Cronin
1942:  The Song of Bernadette by Franz Werfel
1943:  The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas
1944:  Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith
1945:  Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor
1946:  The King's General by Daphne du Maruier
1947:  The Miracle of the Bells by Russell Janney**
1948:  The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas
1949:  The Egyptian by Mika Waltari
1950:  The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson
1951:   From Here to Eternity by James Jones**
1952:  The Silver Chalice by Thomas B. Costain
1953:  The Robe by Lloyd C. douglas
1954:  Not as a Stranger by Morton Thompson
1955:  Marjorie Morningstar by Herman Wouk
1956:  Don't go Near the Water by William Brinkley
1957:  By Love Possessed by James Gould Cozzens
1958:  Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak**
1959:  Exodus by Leon Uris**
1960:  Advise and Consent by Allen Drury
1961:  The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone
1962:  Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter
1963:  The Shoes of the Fisherman by Morris L. West
1964:  The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carre
1965: The source by James A. Michener
1966: The Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann**
1967:  The Arrangement by Elia Kazan
1968:  Airport by Arthur Hailey
1969:  Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth
1970:  Love Story by Erich Segal**
1971:  Wheels by Arthur Hailey
1972:  Johnathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach**
1973:  Johnathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
1974:  Centennial by James A. Michener**
1975:  Ragtime by E. L. Doctorow**
1976:  Trinity by Leon Uris
1977:  The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien/Christopher Tolkien
1978:  Chesapeake by James A. Michener
1979:  The Matarese Circle by Robert Ludlum
1980:  The Covenant by James A. Michener
1981:  Noble House by James Clavell
1982:  E.T., The Extraterrestrial by William Kotzwinkle
1983:  Return of the Jedi by James Kahn
1984:  The Talisman by Stephen King/Peter Straub
1985:  The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. Auel**
1986:  It by Stephen King
1987:  The Tommyknockers by Stephen King
1988:  The Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy
1989:  Clear and Present Danger by Tom Clancy
1990:  The Plains of Passage by Jean M. Auel
1991:  Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley
1992:  Dolores Clairborne by Stephen King
1993:  The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller (I read it.  It was kind of dumb)
1994:  The Chamber by John Grisham
1995:  The Rainmaker by John Grisham
1996:  The Runaway Jury by John Grisham
1997:  The Partner by John Grisham
1998:  The Street Lawyer by John Grisham
1999:  The Testament by John Grisham
2000:  The Brethren  by John Grisham
2001:  Desecration by Jerry B. Jenkins/Tim LaHaye
2002:  The Summons by John Grisham
2003:  The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (I read this one - another GREAT read!)
2004:  The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
2005:  The Broker by John Grisham
2006:  For one More Day by Mitch Albom
2007:  A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (I read it - not as great as his 'Kite-runner')
2008:  The Appeal by John Grisham
2009:  The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (I read it - another GREAT Dan Brown novel!)
2010:  The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest by Stieg Larsson
2011:  The Litigators by John Grisham
2012:  Fifty shades of Grey by E.L. James
2013:  Wasn't determined at the time of the blog posting.

Looks like John Grisham has dominated the last 20 years of literature.  I've only read one of his books - the Christmas one about the grumpy people.  You can't tell I'm a Dan Brown fan can you?  I just like all the twists and turns his stories take.  I will probably never read the 'Fifty Shades of Grey.'  I got a lot of reading to do!  Don't know when it's going to happen, though.

No comments: