Friday, August 5, 2011

life in abstract

'Convergence' by Jackson Pollock - artvoice.com

I don't usually think of myself as an abstract thinker - I do like to have my ducks in a row most times.  But I was thinking about the kind of music I like.  I really am drawn to songs where the lyrics, and even the composition, don't seem to make any sense  - unless you know the concept of the song, then they make perfect sense. 

I also realized that I like my poetry like that too.  I'm not drawn to pretty, rhymey (sappy) poetry - I like things a little discombobulated (e.e. cummings is my favorite poet). 

It's kind of like a Jackson Pollock painting.  A lot of people don't like it (just a bunch of paint flung on a canvas - any chimpanzee can do that, right?)  But when I look at it - I can SEE it.  Creating chaos out of order - who wouldn't want to just let their creative juices fly and land where they may?  I would. I get it.

Something doesn't have to make sense to be beautiful.

1 comment:

Melyni + Alma said...

You're speaking perfectly to me.