Friday, August 31, 2012

Glorious Life!


It's been a while since I've done an up-date post, so I thought I'd fill you all in on the goings-ons around here.  We've grudgingly settled back into the school routine and reality has checked us again.

Preston and Keaton have been sharing a car to drive to school.  They are in classes Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  Then they both work on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Preston also has some labs on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  They often have other activities at the college or with friends that they stay after and participate in.  So we don't get to see them except for a couple of hours in the evenings and sometimes we get a day together on the weekends.  They are busy boys.

Preston is in his junior year of college, still majoring in Geology.  He's been thinking of picking up another major, though, but hasn't decided that for sure.  He's thinking Chemistry or Physics.  We'll see how tired he is of school come the end of next year.  He and Rachael have been spending a lot of time together since she's been back.  We've really enjoyed her visits.  She is from Alaska and she is studying Veterinary Science.  She seems to enjoy all the 'pets' we have roaming around here and gives them much needed attention.  Preston is working for the Athletic Department again this year.

Keaton is starting his freshman year at WSU.  He is majoring in Communications with an emphasis on Digital Design.  But he says there are a lot of avenues to take in communications and he's open-minded as to where he might end up in that field.  He is really enjoying the classes he's taking.  He is also working for the WSU Foundation in it's IT Department.  He's learning a lot about computers: maintenance and trouble-shooting, etc.  He seems to really enjoy that line of work and it fits right in with his major.  He's had some awesome opportunities so far this school year.  It makes for a great start for him.

Winston is starting fourth grade.  One of the major changes is that he's moved from the 'little' kids hall in the school to the 'big' kids hall.  He gets to have a locker.  He's been so excited about it, and seems to be taking it very seriously, expanding his desire for responsibility.  I hope that carries through the whole year.  It's taken him a little longer to 'get-with-the-program' of growing up.  I guess it doesn't help that he's the youngest and we've kind of spoiled him a bit.  But he's a great kid, and has a lot of potential.

I've been having my ups and downs with applying for jobs.  It's kind of depressing when I don't get call-backs or interviews.  Nothing has panned out yet - other than subbing at the school again, which is not constant work.  But it's what's available to me now and I just need to have faith that if I'm meant to be doing something other than taking care of and being a support to my family at home, then the right thing will come along at the right time.  The up-side is that I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to be home and taking care of my family without an outside interference that a job would make. 

Tom has enjoyed this past summer.  He's been able to take quite a bit of time off from work to travel and do things around the house.  It was hard for him, too, when he realized that vacation was over and it was time to hunker down and save up his time.  Work is going well for him.  Things have really picked up around the college.  That's okay with him, he's not one who likes to have nothing to do.  At home he's been keeping things working and the place looking nice.  This morning he got to put some plumbing skills to work as the upstairs shower drain came loose and sent water cascading through the downstairs linen closet.  He got it fixed and is now moved on to other things.

What a boring post this probably has been!  Anyway, we're looking forward to a fun weekend.  Our good school friends Kim & Rob Vowell and Jim Scott are coming to spend the weekend with us.  It's always a hoot to have them around.  Winston is having some friends over after school as part of his birthday present from us.  His birthday fell in the middle of the school week, so we told him he could have friends over on the weekend.  That being said, I've got a lot to do to get ready for this crazy weekend, so I better get to it!

Have a great Labor Day!!!

No comments: