Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Shelvin thinks he's 'All That'.

Shelvin the Rooster

Shelvin has got it goin' for him.  He's finally figured out that he's the one in charge.  After that fiasco this spring when the older hens ganged up on, and killed, one of the younger hens - it's about time!

He's been waking us up in the mornings with his 'Cock-a-doodle-doo'.  Then he crows all through the day.  He's been doing a pretty good job of keeping his 'ladies' in line.  They all seem to be getting along now.

He is definitely getting more aggressive.  He came after me the other day - I only had my flip-flops on, so when I went to give him a little kick to put him in his place, he wasn't the least bit intimidated and went after my toes.  Next time maybe I'll have my boots on and then he won't be able to get away with that!

Maisy (the black & white Barred Rock Hen) is his wife.  She follows him around everywhere.  When they get separated, she starts cackling and screeching for him.  Then he starts crowing back to her until they find each other.  Then they flap their wings at each other and walk off together.  The other hens tolerate him.

So far he's kept the hens from wandering too far, and they haven't become coon-bait yet.  That's a good thing!

Shelvin with his 'gals' Crispy and Maisy

1 comment:

Mom Chick said...

I love this story!! Shelvin -- reminds me of someone!! Thanks for sharing this part of your life!! Love it!